T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4.2 update now rolling out [UPDATED]
Looks like Samsung Galaxy Note 3 owners on T-Mobile are getting a nice hump day surprise today in the form of an update to Android 4.4.2. PhoneDog reader Phillip Bee began receiving the 495.7MB update this morning, and several users in T-Mobile's support forums and the xda-developers forums have gotten hold of the update as well.
Neither T-Mobile nor Samsung have posted any official documentation for the update, so besides a bump up to KitKat, it's not yet clear what kinds of goodies this update includes. However, Samsung has previously said that the Android 4.4 updates for its Galaxy devices will bring a "more intuitive user interface," a Location Menu and more. Today's update brings the Magenta-flavored Note 3 up to software build number KOT49H.N900TUVUCNB4.
We've watched several flagship Android phones get updated to Android 4.4 in recent months, including the Moto X, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S 4 and Sprint's Galaxy Note 3. It's nice to see another Note 3 variant joining Club KitKat today, and hopefully we'll see more carrier-branded versions of the phablet get updated to Android 4.4 soon.
If you're rocking a T-Mobile Note 3 and haven't yet been notified of your KitKat update, you can check for it manually by going into Settings > General > About device > Software update. Once you've got Android 4.4 up and running on your device, be sure to swing by the comments section and share your first impressions!
UPDATE: T-Mobile and Samsung have officially announced the Galaxy Note 3's Android 4.4.2 update. T-Mo says that the update will be available from March 5 through April 11 and that it's available as an over the air download and through Samsung's Kies computer software. Meanwhile, Samsung notes that the update bumps the Galaxy Note 3 up to software version N900TUVUCNB4 and includes the following improvements:
- OS upgrade to Android 4.4.2 (KitKat)
- New Lock Screen Access
- Media Controls - full-screen album art and media controls when listening to music
- Camera Shortcut - access the Camera application right from the lock screen
- SMS App Chooser - select a default application for sending and receiving SMS text messages
- Restyled Status and Navigation Bars - status and navigation bars are translucent and can sit on top of apps, along with simplified status bar icons
- Consolidated Location Settings - location services are integrated and more detailed by new Location menu
- Expanded Emoji Icons
- Wireless Printing – supports printing over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth