Well that didn't take long. Just 24 hours after HTC announced that the AT&T One mini's update to Android 4.4.2 had received technical approval, AT&T has confirmed that the upgrade is now making its way out to users.
AT&T says that today, March 26, an update to Android 4.4.2 and HTC Sense 5.5 is rolling out over the air. The upgrade weighs in at 658MB and can only be downloaded over a Wi-Fi connection. Once the dust settles and you've got the update installed, here are the changes that you can expect to find:
- Improved user interface with Android (4.4 KitKat): The latest version of Android includes enhancements such as restyled status and navigation bars, a new full-screen immersive mode, color emoji support, improved closed captioning support, stronger security, enhanced bluetooth and smarter power use.
- Phone dialer app: The phone app now includes the ability to look up contacts directly from the dial pad, see and tap frequent contacts, and search corporate directories easily.
- Caller ID: Whenever a call is received from a phone number not in saved in contacts, the phone will look for matches from businesses with a local listing on Google Maps.
- HTC BlinkFeed™ app: The new menu gives quicker access to switch content sources and search for custom topics and includes more news sources.
- New copy and paste options: Copy and paste allows users to share or Google highlighted information.
- New e-mail user interface: E-mail look and feel similar to Gmail and allows in-line editing.
- Camera app from lock screen: Click on the camera app icon on the lock screen for quick access to the camera app.
- Control music from the lock screen: Jump to specific past songs or videos from lock screen.
- Immersive viewing: Immersive mode enables full screen viewing of books, videos, and games.
- New clock interface: The clock now has an enhanced analog user interface.
That's a pretty extensive list, but it's missing one other thing that AT&T One mini owners will have post-install: the satisfaction of knowing that they're on the latest version of Android. If you're rocking an AT&T One mini and want to experience that feeling for yourself, you can check for the Android 4.4.2 update by heading into Settings > AT&T software update > Check for updates on your device. You can also wait for the update to make its to you in the coming days.
Via AT&T (1), (2)