AT&T pushing Android 4.4 to Samsung Galaxy S 4 Active, BlackBerry 10.2.1 to Z10 and Q10Alex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
Looks like AT&T is in an update-y mood. The big blue carrier has announced that, starting today, it’s rolling out major updates to three of its smartphones.
First up is the Samsung Galaxy S 4 Active, which is getting a KitKat treat for putting up with all of your abuse. AT&T says that the toughened S 4 Active will begin receiving an update to Android 4.4 that includes restyled status and navigation bars, a lock screen camera shortcut and more. AT&T’s changelog for the update is as follows:
- Improved user interface with Android 4.4 KitKat: The latest version of Android includes enhancements such as re-styled status and navigation bars, a new full-screen-immersive mode, color emoji support, improved closed captioning support, stronger security and smarter power use.
- Enhanced music access: Full screen album art and media controls are available from the lock screen when listening to music.
- Camera access: The camera can also be accessed directly from the lock screen.
- Location menu: An integrated location menu enables users to easily activate GPS and share location details.
- Wireless printing: Integrated support for wireless printing available in enhanced settings.
- New sound controls: Set sound for specific Samsung applications in enhanced settings.
In order to snag this update, you can grab your Galaxy S 4 Active and head into Settings > More > About Device > Software Update > Check for Updates.
AT&T has also begun pushing BlackBerry 10.2.1 to its versions of the BlackBerry Z10 and Q10. Originally announced back at the end of January, BlackBerry 10.2.1 is a significant update that includes actionable lock screen notifications, a pinch gesture that can be used to filter messages in the BlackBerry Hub and a whole lot more. Here’s AT&T’s changelog for 10.2.1:
- Easier to switch to Blackberry 10: the new device switch app allows users to easily migrate their data to a new BlackBerry device.
- Customize pinch gesture to filter BlackBerry Hub: This new feature allows users to instantly filter the message list in the Hub. Users can also customize the Hub to show only unread messages, flagged messages, draft messages, meeting invites, sent messages, or level one alerts. Once preferences are set, users can activate it with a pinch gestures on the Hub’s message list.
- BBM inside any app and preview messages anywhere: Users can now preview any message as it arrives in any app they’re using and immediately read it and respond – without leaving the app.
- BlackBerry Natural Sound enhancements: New sound improvements make BBM Voice and BBM Video chats sound like users are in the same room.
- Actionable lock screen notifications: “Tap to open” messages will now appear on the lock screen, allowing users to respond to an important message quicker.
- Picture password for fast unlocking: Unlock the phone with a combination of a picture and a number (0-9), which is placed at a particular point on the image.
- Battery usage monitoring: A new and improved device monitor provides users with essential details on battery usage, the impact of installed apps on battery life and memory usage and storage, as well as CPU statistics.
If you’ve got an AT&T-branded Z10 or Q10 laying around, snag that sucker and go into Settings > Software Updates > Check for Updates to get your update on.