Sony introduced the Xperia T2 Ultra with Android 4.3 in mid-January, several months after Android 4.4 had made its debut. Thankfully, Sony is now finally updating its new phablet to the latest (publicly available) version of Android.
Sony announced this morning that it’s now updating the 6-inch Xperia T2 Ultra and its dual-SIM sibling to Android 4.4 KitKat. In addition to that Android bump, the Xperia T2 Ultra and T2 Ultra Dual are getting refreshed Status Bars and Quick Settings, updated Sony apps and access to the Xperia Themes UI packs. Here’s Sony’s full changelog for the update:
- Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat as standard – bringing performance & UI optimisation…
- We’ve added our tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
- If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface – we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and livewallpaper across the lock and home screens
- We’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera and…
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration* – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more!
- And proving pretty popular, now totaling over 2 million downloads (!) – our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles…
- Compatibility with our SmartWear Experience; SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app – enabling you to record social, physical and entertainment activities and have them all visualised in a beautiful interface… reminisce at that past, make the best of the present and plan for the future
As with most updates, the availability of the Xperia T2 Ultra’s KitKat bump will vary by market and carrier. It’s still good to see Sony upgrading another one of its devices to Android 4.4, though, even if it did take several months after launch for the rollout to begin.
Next in line to receive updates are the Xperia E1 and the Xperia M2. Sony promises to share more info on those updates “soon.”
Via Sony Mobile