Forget the Fall television lineup - there promises to be plenty to see at your local cellphone store this Fall. The highlights? T-Mobile may finally be getting in on that speedy 3G action (I hope I can keep my $5.99/mo T-Zones plan!) and getting the BlackBerry Curve, Verizon is getting a version of the HTC Vox smartphone, and almost half a dozen versions of Motorola's RAZR2 will be spread across virtually every US carrier you can think of.
So if you're in the market for a handset upgrade, or getting the gadget lust that comes with a soon-to-expire contract, hang on just a little longer. Most of the handsets listed below should be available in the next few months - though none of my PR contacts at the various carriers would confirm or deny any specifics.
• Samsung t639 - T-Mobile's first 3G handset - set to launch in September. Note: No official word on rollout of T-Mobile's 3G data services.
• BlackBerry Curve (8320) - September 24
• BlackBerry Pearl (in three new colors: Red, Blue, and Gold) - September 4
• Motorola W490 and RAZR V3 06 (likely the RAZR2 V8) coming in September.
Possibly 15 new handsets in all. Highlights include:
• Motorola Q9m - August/September
• Samsung i760 - September
• UTStarcom XV6800 (aka HTC Mogul) and SMT5800 (aka HTC Libra - CDMA version of HTC Vox) - October
• Palm Treo 755p - November
• RIM BlackBerry 8130 Pearl -- Is this the Pearl 2? - November
4 High-End Consumer Phones:
• Motorola Z6c with CDMA and GSM compatibility - November
• Motorola Z6tv with VCast TV compatibility - Before end of the year
• Samsung U700 and U900 Ultra Series sliders - Before end of the year