A 33 year-old South Korean man was found dead Wednesday morning in the quarry where he worked, and the melted mobile phone battery found in his shirt pocket appears to be the cause of death. LG Electronics has confirmed that the phone in question was, in fact one of theirs, but has also reportedly said that it would be "virtually impossible" to die from such an accident.
The prevailing theory seems to be that the man was carrying his handset in a shirt pocket when the battery exploded. Reports state that the explosion was forceful enough to break the man's spine and a few of his ribs, and puncture his heart and lungs. A coworker claims to have found the man lying on the ground at the worksite, bleeding from the nose and with the melted phone inside of his shirt pocket. While this tragic accident does seem to have been something of a freak occurrence, it never hurts to make sure your cell phones and other power-drawing gadgets are in good working order and always used with a healthy dose of caution.
Read more about this story from Telecom Korea.