We started with A is for Apple, so next comes B is for BlackBerry, though I can't promise to continue following the letter of the alphabet after this post. What's on deck for everybody's favorite Email addiction pusher in '09?
- Bold beyond AT&T: The Bold 9000 sings sweet music on AT&T right now. What about the other carriers? As of right now, there's nothing solid to report. Lots of rumors but no solid info. 30% chance of it happening in '09.
- Storm beyond Verizon: Ditto as above - there have been reports of a GSM/3G storm coming next year, and Rogers is supposedly testing such a device up in Canada. So we may see a GSM Storm on T-Mo and/or AT&T. But Storm is a VZW exclusive in the US for the time being. Though you can unlock it to use on T-Mobile or AT&T. 30% chance.
- "Curve II" aka "Javelin" 8900: The next-gen Curve is already out in other parts of the world, and will come to the US in early '09. One day I hear it's coming to T-Mobile first, the next it's AT&T. From what I can tell, the T-Mo version will have WiFI and support HotSpot@Home calling and drop sometime in late January - the 27th is a date I heard earlier this week. At any rate, look for the 8900 to hit both carriers in Q1 of '09, while Verizon will instead get the Niagra in Q2 of '09. What about Sprint, you ask? Good question. 99.9% chance of release, 90% chance of carrier sequence.
- "Jupiter" aka "Niagra" 8900: Verizon looks to be getting a CDMA device physically similar to the Curve, but instead codenamed "Niagara." Sprint should also be seeing a CDMA BlackBerry next year, more likely a Javelin/Niagara type of device than a Bold. Look for Niagara to hit VZW around May 2009, followed by Sprint's new BlackBerry shortly thereafter. 85% chance (we could wind up seeing a full-on CDMA Bold, though I doubt it). 90% chance.
- Pluto/Magnum: Perhaps the most exciting BlackBerry rumor centers around a Bold/Storm hybrid of sorts. Codenamed "Pluto" or "Magnum," this device will feature both a touchscreen and physical QWERTY board. Sounds hot, right? Too bad there's nothing solid regarding the who/what/where and when of this device launching. 99% chance it'll happen; 65% chance it happens before 12/31/09.