Straight up, I'd be a fool not to throw a blog post out there on the day of an Apple media event, let alone one as hyped up as a preview of the next iPhone OS. Apple events = easy page views. That's not to say I don't have a few totally worthwhile thoughts on the matter, but I like being honest with you. I want the eyeball grabs while they're easy to come by.
That said, here are a few widely circulating rumors about tomorrow's event (10 am Pacific Time) and my own thoughts on 'em:
- Background Apps: Far and away the most important thing to watch for in iPhone OS 3.0. Whether you know it or not, the coolest thing about Palm Pre & WebOS is the way it handles background apps/multitasking and push notifications. Apple's gotta give in to this trend. Not because Pre is an "iPhone killer" but because it's what people want, even if they don't know it yet. (They will soon enough)
- Push Notifications: See above. You want your Email, your Facebook/twitter/Foursquare notifications all in one spot, all pushed to you, all the time. My main reason for considering a switch away from iPhone is the way that Pre/WebOS and HTC's newest version of TouchFlo 3D handle "people-centric notifications." I really want Apple to do something cool with push notifications and social feeds on iPhone - and so do you. Even if you don't know it yet.
- Copy and Paste: The fact that we're even discussing this as a feature irks me almost as much as the new iPod shuffle. iPhone 3.0 had better get C&P already. Then again, if it doesn't, I'll be annoyed but won't really care that much.
- MMS: Really, really doubt it.
- New Hardware: This is kind of a wildcard. I doubt that Apple will actually announce any new hardware at Tuesday's event, just because I think they'd want to let some buzz build around OS 3.0 and then "launch" the next-gen iPhone later on. Free publicity and all.
That said, everyone and their blogging Mom suddenly thinks/wants/hopes that a new iPhone and/or Tablet Mac will be unveiled on Tuesday. I think we'll see some new iPhone OS-based hardware from Apple this Sprint/Summer, but I don't think it'll be this week.
As for that crazy tablet Mac rumor? I want it just as much as you do, for no good reason (honestly). But I'm just not sure what OS it would run. I kinda like this mockup from lcentre.net, though.