I knew I had to grab my chance at a little time off while I could. Economy be damned, June is shaping up to be one of the most prolific and interesting months the mobile phone industry has seen in quite some time. Sure, everyone's all hyped about Palm Pre's long-awaited launch and the all but inevitable unveiling of the next-Gen Apple iPhone, but that's far from all that the wireless world has in store for us over the next 30 days. I'll try to run it down week-by-week for you:
- My review of the HTC Touch Diamond 2 (European version) will go live
- Touch Diamond 2 will also afford a close look at the new version of HTC TouchFlo 3D
- I'll get the new Verizon LG phones for review: EnV Touch, EnV3, and Glance
- I'll do a close-up of Android OS 1.5 now that it's being pushed out to T-Mobile G1 owners here in the States
- I have meetings with two handset companies and one wireless carrier
- Sony Ericsson just unveiled Saito (renamed Idou), Yari and Aino, and has another trick up their sleeve for this Thursday - it's related to sustainability and the environment, apaprently
- With any luck I'll get a Palm Pre for review before it launches
- Palm Pre launches Saturday
- Apple's WWDC conference is Monday. Everyone's expecting the new iPhone to be unveiled at the keynote address. I'll be there, liveblogging it even (!)
- Nokia's hotly anticipated flagship device, the N97, could start shipping as early as the end of next week. While there's no US carrier info yet for the phone, $600 or so will get you an unlocked version with AT&T and global-ready 3G
Rest of June:
Look for some or all of the following before the month's out:
- HTC Hero (Europe) and MyTouch (T-Mobile USA): I'm really, really excited to see what HTC's got in store for a customized UI running atop Google's Android OS. They've done so well with TouchFlo 3D on Windows Mobile, I'm expecting great things from a customized Android build. Look for it on the HTC Hero in Europe and, fingers crossed, maybe the forthcoming MyTouch on T-Mobile here in the States.
- We might just see that Verizon-bound BlackBerry before June is through. Which one, you ask? Both the VZW Curve/Bold variant and just maybe the Storm 2 with its non-clickable (yay!) touchscreen.
- Hopefully I can get my hands on a Samsung Ultra Touch and/or Omnia HD for a proper review before the month is through.
Buckle up and save those pennies. It's gonna be a busy month!