Happy August, everyone! I won't tell you exactly when, but I will tell you that I officially turned a year older earlier this month. I still feel like a Spring Chicken in a henhouse full of cell phones, so don't worry about my old age ... yet. I'm still spry enough to keep on top of the latest mobile device releases and rumors, and even to write 'em all up for you in one handy post (EDIT: Too many rumors, let's do two posts!).
This is Part Two of a two-part post. Check out Part One here.
- Apple is not releasing an 8GB iPhone 3GS. Some thought they were, but now they're not. Giz claims to have the denial confirmed, if you will.
- Apple is releasing a tablet on Verizon, though. Maybe. Or maybe not. But maybe, and maybe in time for this year's holiday shopping season. And maybe it'll usher in some new way to sell music. And books. Or maybe not.
- BlackBerry's new devices have their names printed on them. Like the "Curve" 8520 and, apparently, the forthcoming "Bold" 9700 (aka Onyx). Simon over at IntoMobile found this pic of the brazenly branded new Bold. Bold/Onyx and its optical trackpad will be hitting AT&T at some point soon, along with the Garmin Nuvifone G60 (I'll believe that when I see it), according to Boy Genius.
- And the much anticipated BlackBerry Storm 2 9520 has shown up with Vodafone branding running OS 5.0. Look for a CDMA version of the device, the 9550, to hit Verizon this Fall. Simon at IntoMobile also reported on a tip regarding a "BlackBerry 9990" running OS 5.1, which he says could be that most mythical of beasts, the "Magnum" touch-screen Bold variant.
- Some dude on Cragslist Atlanta is selling an unreleased Samsung touch slider called a797 for AT&T. The phone looks like a Solstice and a Propel had a lovechild. Yes, I emailed him hoping I could buy it via PayPal and he'd ship to Oakland. We'll see.
- Some possibly-crazy person posted more than an hour's worth of hands-on videos detailing Sony Ericsson's Aino and Satio multimedia phones.
- And Chris Z over at Engadget Mobile dug up some FCC filings that point towards stereo Bluetooth headphones being included in Aino's retail packaging, which would be a nice touch from SE.
Alright, that oughta get you through the night. Don't worry, rumorhounds - there are plenty more where those came from. Stay tuned!