Finally, the agonizing wait is over for Motorola Milestone users on Telus. The long overdue Android 2.1 update has arrived, but in a distasteful manner. Unfortunately, Telus users don’t get an OTA update option, but a multi-step process using the nearest PC will have you boasting your multi-touch within Google Maps in no time.
What’s new with Android 2.1:
- Animated wallpapers and multiple home screens
- You can choose between 3, 5, 7, and 9 homescreens.
- Live wallpapers are now available, others can now be installed from Market.
- Facebook App and Widget
- Names, profile pictures, and status will can be implemented into your Contacts.
- A widget can be placed on one of your homescreens.
- Google Maps Updates
- Personalized suggestions: Autocompletes locations based on personal search history.
- Syncs with desktop: Synchronizes starred items between Google Maps application and maps.google.com.
- Multi-touch is now enabled within Google Maps.
- Other Enhancements
- Help: A new Help Center application is included for mobile access to user guide, video tour of key features, tips and tricks, and FAQs.
- Bluetooth support: Support for Bluetooth headset multi-function for initiating voice calls.
- Security: Prevents unauthorized pattern lock bypass, allows for PIN security and local device wipe following PIN error input.
- Music Player: Album art 3D gallery view supported in landscape orientation.
- Battery life: Ongoing battery life optimization.
- Email account removal: Improvements to manual removal of email accounts.
What are you waiting for? Update your Milestone from your PC by clicking here and following the provided 4-step instructions. An OTA update would have been nice, but I think justifying four simple instructions should be easy after you’re reaping the benefits of 2.1. If you’ve already updated your Milestone to 2.1, tell us what you think!