Remember back when our Canadian friends were blessed with a Motorola Milestone Android 2.1 update? Well, our other friends across the big blue (over in the UK, in case you were wondering), were left out of the loop and 2.1-less. After months of waiting, the UK has been brought up to speed with their own 2.1 update that is available through the same process as the update released for Telus.
The changes in this update are listed as follows:
Speech to Text, within virtual keyboard
- ENGLISH SUPPORTED ONLY
- You can now speak in plain English instead of typing, whenever a text-entry box appears on your Android device.
- Simply press the microphone key on the virtual keyboard and dictate your phrase.
Animated Wallpapers and multiple home screens
- This additional wallpaper option enables you to select from a number of wallpapers that can move on your home screen.
- A selection of animated wallpapers are bundled with the software upgrade – further wallpapers are available on the Android Market.
- The number of home screens you can have now also just got bigger – you can choose to have 3, 5, 7, or even 9 home screens – plenty of space for all your widgets and icons.
Facebook App and Widget
- A Free Facebook App and Widget is included in this upgrade.
- The Application enables contact importation including Names, Profile Pics and Status into your phones’ contacts. The Widget can be place on one of your home screens to stream live updates from your Facebook account.
Google Maps Updates
- Personalized suggestions: Google Maps on your Android device suggests (autocompletes) locations based on your personal search history on maps.google.com.
- Sync with desktop: synchronizes starred items between Google Maps on your
- Android device and maps.google.com. Sync and personalized features require a user to be logged in to myGoogle account while on maps.google.com
- Multi touch is now also enabled within Google Maps.
- Help : A new Help Center app is included that provides mobile access to your user guide, video tours of key features, tips and tricks, and FAQs to help you get the most from your device.
- Bluetooth support : support for Bluetooth headset multi function for initiating voice calls
- Security: Prevents unauthorized pattern lock bypass, allows for PIN security and local device wipe following PIN error input
- Music Player : Album art 3D gallery view supported in landscape orientation
- Battery life: ongoing battery life optimization
- Email account removal: Improvements to manual removal of email accounts
Unfortunately, there is a problem with this update. It seems to be disabling the multimedia dock, but Motorola has provided a solution. The problem comes from there being an old cache file stored by the software. To fix this, simply go to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, find Multimedia Station. Select Multimedia Station and select Clear cache. Hopefully that will fix any issues you may have with it.
To update your UK Milestone, click here. If you have any other issues with the update, or the Multimedia Station fix didn't work for you, let us know. And as always, enjoy!