We see all different kinds of analysis of the mobile OS market involving number of devices sold, how many apps are available and downloaded for each platform, and so on. Today we've got mobile web consumption numbers for you to digest and, somewhat unsurprisingly, iOS and Android are running the show. The folks at Quantcast have crunched the numbers and determined that for the month of August 2010, Apple's iOS made up 56 percent of the web browsing that occurred, with Google's Android taking home 25 percent of that pie. This means that those two OSes combined made up 81 percent of the mobile browsing for August, which is pretty astounding. When it comes to web consumption growth, Android is obviously the big winner, growing 17 percent in the past year. iOS, BlackBerry, and all other OSes saw their shares shrink during the same period.
We've seen in the past that, while Android and iOS are slowly gaining dominance in the market, RIM's BlackBerry devices are still king when it comes to U.S. marketshare. Surprisingly, however, RIM's devices made up only nine percent of mobile web consumption in August 2010. The BlackBerry browser has often been knocked for being one of the less capable mobile browsers on the market, but the company is looking to turn that around with their new WebKit-based BlackBerry 6 browser. Meanwhile, iOS and Android, which have had WebKit-based browsers for some time, are far and away the mobile browsing leaders. With all of the new mobile OSes that have already hit or are coming soon (webOS 2.0, BlackBerry 6, iOS 4, Android Gingerbread/Honeycomb), though, things could look dramatically different one year from now.