Love percentages and pie charts filled in with varying shades of green? We've got just what you need today, my friend, because Google has released the latest Android distribution numbers. As of December 1st, Android 2.2 is the king of the hill when it comes to the platform, making up a whopping 43.4 percent of devices on the market. 2.1 isn't far behind, though, with 39.6 percent distribution. Combined, Android 2.x now has a dominant position in the market, appearing on 83 percent of the Google-powered devices. Android 1.6 is still present on 10.6 percent of handsets, while Android 1.5 is sitting at 6.3 percent.
While it's certainly true that Android 2.x has been more widely used for at least a few months now, it's pretty awesome to see Froyo making up almost half of the active Android phones on the market. The bad news is that when we see this chart again, it's entirely likely that we'll see another slice in the pie thanks to the arrival of Gingerbread. For now, though, we can celebrate the fact that the great majority of Android users are running (mostly) up-to-date versions of their OS. What fragmentation?