RIM threw out quite a few nice statistics yesterday in their Q3 earnings report, but perhaps the most interesting ones came today in a report released today from Horace Dediu of Asymco. During the third quarter, the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. were responsible for 56 percent of RIM's total sales, with the U.S. making up 34 percent of that. Dediu points out that, year-over-year, RIM's U.S. revenue grew 13 percent, from $1.65 billion to $1.87 billion, while the company's overall revenue grew a whopping 89 percent, or $2.6 billion. What does this all mean? The U.S. contributed only 8 percent of RIM's total increase in sales, while the rest of the world put up the remaining 92 percent.
While they aren't always know as a huge force internationally (Nokia usually takes that title), it's obvious that RIM is gaining a lot of popularity overseas. One reason for this is the popularity of cheap, pre-paid devices, especially ones that have a heavy focus on messaging -- something that BlackBerrys specialize in. We've seen RIM steadily losing market share here in the U.S. to competitors like iOS and Android, but the company is more than making up for that loss with sales in the rest of the world.