And just like that, all of the rumors can come to an end. Verizon just made the Samsung DROID Charge, formerly known as the Samsung 4G LTE, official. The Charge will be going on sale on April 28th, aka one week from today, for $299.99 with a two-year contract. Interested customers will need to sign up for a $29.99 unlimited data package, although it's worth noting that Verizon will be waiving the fees associated with the Charge's mobile hotspot feature for an indeterminate period of time. Additionally, Samsung will be giving out a $25 Media Hub credit to DROID Charge owners, although there was no mention of how long that promotion will last. You can check out the full press release below.
Although the DROID Charge has a lot going for it, including a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED display and LTE connectivity, I'm a little concerned that the device's $299.99 price tag could drive away some potential customers, especially considering that the HTC ThunderBolt, which also features a 4.3-inch screen and 4G, is $50 less. Luckily, we don't have to wait long to see how consumers react to the DROID Charge since its launch is only a week away. Now that the DROID Charge and all of its spec and pricing info is official, what are your thoughts the device? Will you be making room for it in your pocket any time soon?
VERIZON WIRELESS UNLEASHES DROID CHARGE BY SAMSUNG
DROID Charge Joins Verizon Wireless’ Android Family as Samsung’s First 4G LTE Smartphone
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced that the DROID Charge by Samsung will be available for purchase on April 28 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com.
The DROID Charge is designed with Samsung’s 4.3-inch Super AMOLED™ Plus display, setting a new touchscreen standard for brightness, clarity and outdoor visibility. The DROID Charge is equipped with both a rear-facing 8-megapixel camera with LED flash and front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for both stills and video chatting. The smartphone’s 1 GHz application processor and HTML 5 Web browser maximizes high-speed 4G LTE connectivity for faster downloads and graphics processing.
· 4G LTE – Customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage area
· Android 2.2 platform – Support for Google Mobile Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk, Google Search, Google Maps and access to more than 150,000 apps available to download from Android Market™
· Adobe® Flash® Player compatible
· Mobile Hotspot capability – Share 4G connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices or a 3G connection with up to 5 devices
· Samsung Media Hub – Samsung’s own content service, offering a vast lineup of critically acclaimed films and TV programs for rent or purchase
· Virtual QWERTY keyboard featuring Swype technology
Pricing and data plans:
· The DROID Charge by Samsung will be available for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
· DROID Charge customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a 4G LTE data package. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access. Unlimited 4G LTE data packages start at $29.99 monthly access. Mobile Hotspot feature will be included for a limited time at no additional charge.
Find the DROID Charge
Beginning April 21, anyone over the age of 18 can participate in an exclusive DROID Charge Scavenger Hunt. Follow the online clues to find hidden locations in 16 different U.S. cities to win a DROID Charge by Samsung. For additional information about the DROID Charge Scavenger Hunt, visit: www.chargelanding.com.
For more information about the DROID Charge by Samsung, visit www.droiddoes.com/charge. For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest and most advanced 4G network and largest and most reliable 3G network, serving more than 104 million total connections, including 88.4 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About Samsung Telecommunications America
Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC, a Dallas-based subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., researches, develops and markets wireless handsets and telecommunications products throughout North America. For more information, please visit www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones.