Back in June we saw Verizon jump the gun a bit by announcing that the Motorola DROID 2 Global's Gingerbread update had begun rolling out when it actually needed a little more time in the oven. It looks like the update is nearly ready for all of you eager D2G owners, though, as it's been revealed that the device's Android 2.3 soak test may be kicking off next month. As you can see above, Moto is planning to get the pre-release soak ball rolling in sometime in September. A public launch is likely to follow shortly thereafter.
So when might this soak test actually kick off? There's no mention of a roll out date in this leaked document, but the folks at Droid-Life think that the testing could kick off as soon as next week. We'll be sure to let you know more about the update when we do, but in the mean time, perhaps you'd like to peruse all of the fixes and improvements that the new software will include? The full list is available below!
- Download Manager App: New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
- App and Power Management Details: Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
- Multi-Touch Key-Chording: New ability to enter numbers and symbols with keyboard shortcut combos, instead of having to change to the numeric keyboard mode.
- Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality: New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.
- New User Interface and Color Scheme: New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Dock Icons: Static Phone, App Launcher and Contacts icons are replaced within a customizable dock. Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the Dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
- App Groups: New App Menu allows creation of custom app groups, in addition to 3 default groups: All Apps, Recent and Downloaded.
- Security: Added Device and SD Card encryption. VPN enhancements integrate IPSec VPN clients into device security settings.
- Updated Calendar Options
- Display Calendar and event times in your home time zone when traveling.
- Dismiss individual reminders, such as dismissing one meeting reminder without dismissing other meeting reminders.
- Easy conference dialing – simply dial and automatically enter a conference code directly from your Calendar.
- Email and Messaging
- Sporadic issues with unintended recipient list corrected for text, picture, video and audio multimedia messages.
- Exchange ActiveSync calendar events created on the device will now push to your PC calendar.
- POP3/IMAP emails now show the correct date stamp.
- New ActiveSync Email Policy Support for the following:
- Data encryption for both the internal and SD card memory.
- Require manual synchronization while roaming.
- Allow HTML email.
- Additional Device Features
- Improvements in stability prevent lockups, resets and force close errors.
- Bluetooth® devices will now select the correct audio recording level for optimal voice capture and alert you when your audio level is too low.
- Improved battery life while using Bluetooth.
- Access My Verizon without any force close errors.
- Reset Backup Assistant under Manage Applications menu.
- Enhanced connectivity when roaming in GSM/UMTS networks (Europe and India).
- Improved battery life during Wi-Fi use.
- Preloaded Apps and Programs:
- Google Books
- Amazon MP3 Store
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.2
- V CAST Apps