Are you Motorola DROID 2 Global owners feeling a little burned since the DROID 2 got Android 2.3 Gingerbread last week? Fret no longer, D2G folk, as Motorola announced this morning that the Global's piping hot helping of Gingerbread has begun rolling out in phases. Those customers that don't feel like waiting for the over the air update to come to their neck of the woods can manually pull it down by going to Menu > Settings > About phone > System updates. The new software is build number 4.5.607 and weighs in at 103MB.
So what's packed inside this bundle of new software? The list of improvements is the same as when we first heard about the update back in June, meaning DROID 2 Global owners can expect a new version of Motoblur Motorola's Applications Platform, improved battery life during Wi-Fi and Bluetooth use, the usual Gingerbread goodies, and several other enhancements. You can find the full list down below. Now get to downloading! We'll be right here, waiting for you to tell us all about the update once you're done.
Download Manager App:
- New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
App and Power Management Details:
- Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
- New ability to enter numbers and symbols with keyboard shortcut combos, instead of having to change to the numeric keyboard mode.
Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
- New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.
New User Interface and Color Scheme:
- New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Static Phone, App Launcher and Contacts icons are replaced within a customizable dock. Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the Dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
- New App Menu allows creation of custom app groups, in addition to 3 default groups: All Apps, Recent and Downloaded.
- Added Device and SD Card encryption. VPN enhancements integrate IPSec VPN clients into device security settings.
Updated Calendar Options:
- Display Calendar and event times in your home time zone when traveling.
- Dismiss individual reminders, such as dismissing one meeting reminder without dismissing other meeting reminders.
- Easy conference dialing – simply dial and automatically enter a conference code directly from your Calendar.
Email and Messaging
- Sporadic issues with unintended recipient list corrected for text, picture, video and audio multimedia messages.
- Exchange Active Sync calendar events created on the device will now push to your PC calendar.
- POP3/IMAP emails now show the correct date stamp.
New Active Sync Email Policy Support for the following:
- Data encryption for both the internal and SD card memory.
- Require manual synchronization while roaming.
- Allow HTML e-mail.
Additional Device Features
- Improvements in stability prevent lockups, resets and Force Close errors.
- Bluetooth® devices will now select the correct audio recording level for optimal voice capture and alert you when your audio level is too low.
- Improved battery life while using Bluetooth.
- Access My Verizon without any force close errors.
- Reset Backup Assistant under Manage Applications menu.
- Enhanced connectivity when roaming in GSM/UMTS networks (Europe and India).
- Improved battery life during Wi-Fi use.
Preloaded Apps and Programs
- Google Books
- Amazon MP3 Store
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.2
- V CAST Apps