HTC ThunderBolt owners, your helping of Gingerbread has finally arrived. Verizon has confirmed on its Twitter account that Android 2.3 is now rolling out to hungry customers everywhere, although, as with most updates, the carrier notes that not everyone will get the new software at the same time. If you're a ThunderBolter and haven't yet gotten notification of the Gingerbread update, you can go ahead and check for it manually by going to Menu > Settings > Software Update > Check New.
For those of you that may have missed it yesterday, the ThunderBolt's update to Gingerbread includes all of the usual Android 2.3 goodies as well as improved data connectivity, a fix for the issue that caused text messages to be sent to the wrong recipient, and several other enhancements. The full change log for the update is below. ThunderBolt owners, we'd love to hear from all of you about the update and how it's working out, so be sure to give us a shout in the comments below once you get the new software up and running!
- Download Manager App: New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
- App and Power Management Details: Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each. Power efficiency mode option has also been added under Settings > Power.
- New Desktop User Interface: New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Dock Icons: Static Phone, App Launcher and Contacts icons are replaced within a customizable dock. Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the Dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
Additional device features:
- Alarm notifications will no longer appear while in Emergency Mode.
- Improved data connectivity.
- Improved audio quality while using Bluetooth®.
- Decreased wait time when saving audio attachments.
- V CAST Tones now comes preloaded.
- New Google Books app.
- Enhanced UI for data roaming.
- SMS messages send to correct recipient.
- Reduced Force Close errors while using TuneWiki.
- Reduced Force Close errors when using the front camera.
- Audio on BT Car Kit no longer reroutes to phone when receiving a SMS message.
Via VZBuzz, @VZWSupport