Good news, Motorola DROID 2 Global owners! It looks like your Gingerbread update may finally be making its triumphant return in the near future. As I'm sure many D2G users know, the device's update to Android 2.3 began rolling out a little over a month ago but was quickly pulled after a Microsoft Exchange encryption bug was discovered in the new software. A new DROID 2 Global support document has been posted on Verizon's site, though, detailing an update with a new build number (4.5.608) that's slightly higher than the version from last month (4.5.607). The new changelog is mostly unchanged from the previous one, but there is a mention of Exchange ActiveSync encryption in the new version. Check it out below.
There's been no mention from Motorola or Verizon on when this update might start rolling out, but Moto has said that all DROID 2 Global users will be bumped up to the latest update when it begins rolling out, including folks that got the last build of GB before it was pulled. We'll let you know when we hear official word on the rollout. Until then, you can try to pull some Gingerbread from the sky yourself by going to Menu > Settings > About phone > System updates.
- Download Manager App:
- New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
- App and Power Management Details:
- Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
- Multi-Touch Key-Chording:
- New ability to enter numbers and symbols with keyboard shortcut combos, instead of having to change to the numeric keyboard mode.
- Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
- New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.
- New User Interface and Color Scheme:
- New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Dock Icons:
- Static Phone, App Launcher and Contacts icons are replaced within a customizable dock. Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the Dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
- App Groups:
- New App Menu allows creation of custom app groups, in addition to 3 default groups: All Apps, Recent and Downloaded.
- Added Device and SD Card encryption. VPN enhancements integrate IPSec VPN clients into device security settings.
- Updated Calendar Options:
- Display Calendar and event times in your home time zone when traveling.
- Dismiss individual reminders, such as dismissing one meeting reminder without dismissing other meeting reminders.
- Easy conference dialing – simply dial and automatically enter a conference code directly from your Calendar.
- Email and Messaging
- Sporadic issues with unintended recipient list corrected for text, picture, video and audio multimedia messages.
- Exchange ActiveSync calendar events created on the device will now push to your PC calendar.
- POP3/IMAP emails now show the correct date stamp.
- New ActiveSync Email Policy Support for the following:
- Data encryption for both the internal and SD card memory.
- Require manual synchronization while roaming.
- Allow HTML email.
- Additional Device Features
- Improvements in stability prevent lockups, resets and force close errors.
- Bluetooth® devices will now select the correct audio recording level for optimal voice capture and alert you when your audio level is too low.
- Improved battery life while using Bluetooth.
- Access My Verizon without any force close errors.
- Reset Backup Assistant under Manage Applications menu.
- Enhanced connectivity when roaming in GSM/UMTS networks (Europe and India).
- Improved battery life during Wi-Fi use.
- Exchange ActiveSync encryption fails after OTA update.
- Preloaded Apps and Programs
- Google Books
- Amazon MP3 Store
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.2
Via Droid-Life, Verizon