Yesterday Verizon announced updates for a trio of Motorola DROID handsets, and now it looks like the LG Spectrum is also in line for some new update goodness. The upgrade is version VS920ZV5 and is fairly beefy, weighing in at 127MB. The good news is that there are quite a few enhancements packed inside, including a bump to Android 2.3.6, a number of app updates and a switch to Google as the default search, a move that Verizon says will provide "a better user experience." The full changelog from Verizon is available for your perusal below.
Looks like an update that Spectrum owners should be pretty excited for. Verizon doesn't offer a timeframe as to when VX920ZV5 will be rolling out other than saying it'll be here "soon," but you update-hungry Spectrum folk can always check for it manually by heading into Menu > Settings > About phone > Software updates > Check for Updates. It's also worth noting that the Spectrum will also be receiving a bump to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich that, last we heard, is due to arrive sometime in the first half of this year. Are any of you out there currently rocking a Spectrum?
- EAS password follows security policy, requiring an 8-digit password minimum.
- Application launch will not cause force close when the device is scanning for available Wi-Fi networks.
- Improved outline for multiple calendar view.
- Calendar reminders send notification at accurate time.
- Successfully sync Optimum Online accounts using POP3.
- Pinch zoom in Camera Preview mode to select zoom level.
Web Browsing & Email
- Sync and Connect email maximum count is 500 regardless of server settings.
- Browser launches immediately upon selection.
- Added ‘Select Search Engine’ option in browser settings.
- Google Search is now set as default search for a better user experience.
Applications & Widgets
- Google GMS (Google Mobile Services) is upgraded to Gingerbread R9.
- Updated Google Play (v3.3.12) with enhanced user experiences.
- Updated Gmail (v22.214.171.124) with a series of security fixes.
- Talk2 (v1.3) includes updated video chat capabilities.
- Updated YouTube (v2.3.4) includes enhanced editing functionalities.
- Visual Voice Mail connection has been updated for a better user experience when syncing email.
- Updated Apps:
- NFL v4.0
- VZ Navigator (v126.96.36.199)
- Amazon Kindle (v188.8.131.52)
- SmartShare (R2.0)
- Verizon Video (v6.1.34)
- My Verizon (v10.0.7)
- V CAST Apps (v3.03.41)
Via Droid-Life, Verizon