Android Wear devices have been getting a lot of the spotlight lately, especially with the new Lollipop update. If you’ve opted to strap a Pebble to your wrist instead, though, you’ve now got some new features to be excited about too.
Pebble today announced the beta 2.3 version of its Android app that includes support for Android Wear notifications. That means that Pebble smartwatches use the same actions that are included with Android Wear apps so that developers don’t need to do any extra work for Pebble. Pebble has also added the ability to reply to a Hangouts message with an emoji and send Square Cash to a friend from your wrist. Pebble for Android v2.3’s full changelog is as follows:
- NEW: Android Wear Notifications. Reply and act on Android app notifications on Pebbles running Firmware v2.9 (in Beta) or higher.
- NEW: Support for Android 4.0+ devices. Pebble’s latest Android app (v2.2) previously required devices running 4.3 (Jelly Bean) or higher.
- NEW: Auto app updates. When available, updated apps and watchfaces will be installed on Pebble at times when the watch is idle (e.g. charging).
- FIXED: Issues with Whatsapp notifications
- DEVELOPERS: UTF-8 support in PebbleKit JS
- Bug fixes and stability improvements.
- Users wishing to beta test this Pebble app must have a device running Android 4.0 or higher.
- Download the Pebble Android App (2.3 Beta) by joining our Beta Testing Group. After installing and opening the Android Beta app, you will be prompted to update your Pebble to a Beta version (2.9) of the Firmware (required to use the new features in the 2.3 Android app). If this does not happen automatically, select Support » Check for Updates to install the 2.9 Beta Firmware.
- Report bugs and issues by selecting Support » Contact Support from the Pebble Android Beta App.
It’s also worth noting that while this update is a beta, Pebble is allowing anyone to get it. To grab the update, you need to join Pebble’s beta testing group and have an Android device running 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or higher. If you do install Pebble for Android v2.3, be sure to let us know how the Android Wear notifications work for you!