Much of our focus is on the LG G4, its recent massive leak, and its upcoming official announcement, but today there’s some good news regarding the G4’s predecessor.
Verizon has announced the Android 5.0 update for its version of the LG G3. The update bumps the G3 up to version VS98523B and includes updated navigation buttons, lock screen notifications, Smart Lock, and more. Verizon’s full changelog for its G3 Lollipop update looks like this:
￼HOME TOUCH BUTTONS
- Home Screen Navigation buttons changed as follows
￼￼￼LOCK SCREEN & NOTIFICATIONS
- With the LG G3 L OS version, Notifications can appear on the Lock Screen based on user settings, with the first 2 Notifications being displayed if so configured.
- If there are more than 2 Notifications, a numeric indicator will be displayed for the additional Notifications.
- The LG G3 L OS version allows the user to view up to 2 Notifications and also be able to unlock the device if it is configured with a pattern lock, password etc.
- Swiping away a Notification while on the Lock Screen will display the next Notification without having to unlock the device.
- The LG G3 L OS version can be configured via the Settings menu to “Show all notifications”, “Hide sensitive only” or “Hide all notifications” so that Notifications on the Lock Screen can be all displayed, selectively displayed or not displayed at all.
- If you set the device to a secure lock screen setting (e.g., Pattern Lock), the device will offer the Lock Screen Notification options as shown below.
- You can also set the Lock Screen Notification under the Settings-> Sound & notification -> Lock Screen shown below
- The “Hide sensitive only” option is not available if the device is set to either “None” or “Swipe” Screen Lock settings.
- ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼When “Show all notifications” is set, selecting the Numeric indicator or swiping down the upper 2 Notifications will expand the Notifications list as shown below
- ￼￼￼￼￼￼If “Hide sensitive only” is set, you have to first unlock the device to view the full list of notifications as shown below
- Provides a simpler way to unlock the device by using face recognition
- It also allows you to unlock the device with a simple swipe instead of a security lock when the LG G3 is connected to a “Trusted” Bluetooth device added via the Smart Lock Settings
￼￼￼￼￼￼SMART LOCK SETTINGS INSTRUCTIONS
- Smart Lock Setting is done via Settings -> Lock Screen -> Smart Lock
- The Settings are now searchable. “Search” in the Settings allows an user to search the Settings page by looking through the names and description of settings listing.
- “Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections” is added under Wi-Fi settings to enable device to use the mobile network whenever the connected Wi-Fi network has no internet connection.
- Prompt “No Wi-Fi Internet connection” pop up to alert users upon detecting connected Wi-Fi network does not have a working internet connection.
FLOATING ACTION BUTTONS
- Floating action button is added in some of the main applications to promote the key action such as adding or composing new item.
- Floating Action Buttons can be found in the Clock, Contacts, Email, Messaging, and Music applications.
- “Screen Pinning” feature can be found in Recent app. Screen pinning locks the device to use only a single app, preventing the device from launching an other apps until it is unpinned by an user.
- Touch and hold the Back and Recent buttons at the same time will unpin the app.
- Back navigation button will continue to work while the app is pinned but Home and Recent buttons will not work until the app is unpinned.
- Goal is indicated inside the circle in the main window to motivate users to achieve their goals.
- Distance view is also newly added.
Verizon hasn’t said anything about the LG G3’s Android 5.0 rollout, but now that the update is officially, the push ought to begin any time now. If you’ve got a Verizon LG G3 and want to check for the update manually, you can head into Settings > System updates > Check for new system update.