Ready for a new batch of Android distribution stats?
Google has published its latest Android platform distribution numbers, which is gathered from the data of all Android devices that accessed the Play Store during a 7-day period that ended on May 4. Starting with Lollipop, we see that Android 5.0 is at 9.0 percent and Android 5.1 is at 0.7 percent, giving Lollipop a total of 9.7 percent. That’s healthy jump from 5.4 percent in April.
Next up is Android 4.4. KitKat finished the May period at 39.8 percent, down a bit from the 41.4 percent share that it had in April. Android 4.1 through 4.3 Jelly Bean was just behind KitKat with a 39.2 percent share, while Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich finished at 5.3 percent. Rounding out the bunch is Android 2.3 Gingerbread at 5.7 percent and Android 2.2 Froyo at 0.3 percent, both of which dropped slightly from April.
The past month saw the launches of the Galaxy S6 and One M9, both of which come equipped with Android 5.0 in tow, so it’s no surprise to see Lollipop gaining quite a bit of share in this month’s numbers. Meanwhile, the other Android distributions continue to slip as consumers either upgraded to new phones or got updates to new versions of Android on their existing hardware.
So now I ask once again: Which versions of Android are you current running?