After updating the SHIELD Tablet K1 and SHIELD Tablet to Android 6.0, NVIDIA has set its sights on the SHIELD Android TV.
NVIDIA says that it’s now pushing an Android 6.0 update to the SHIELD Android TV, its set-top box. One feature that NVIDIA is heavily touting with the update is that it includes Vulkan API support, which gives efficient and low-level access to graphics hardware, including the Maxwell GPU that’s included in the SHIELD TV.
Here’s NVIDIA’s full changelog for the update, which it calls SHIELD Android TV Software Upgrade 3.0:
Android™ 6.0 Marshmallow Upgrade
- There's more to love about NVIDIA® SHIELD™ Android TV with Android 6.0 'Marshmallow'.
- Enjoy a new background for your home screen, plus a redesigned Google Play Store.
- Customize the recommendations row or re-order your app and game tiles. Go to Settings > Preferences > Home screen.
- Turn your SD card or external USB storage into encrypted internal storage for your apps and games.
- Set up a new SHIELD without any typing. Just say "OK Google, set up my device" from your phone and your Google account and Wi-Fi password will be automatically transferred to your TV.
New SHIELD Features
- Access the power menu on the home screen by holding the Back button.
- Seamlessly switch between surround sound and headset audio in Netflix app.
- Added wireless support for SHIELD controller when charging via USB, including headset audio and voice search.
- Improved color support for YUV 4:2:0 video playback.
- Option to set 1080p 60Hz resolution on Ultra HD TVs.
- Option to set RGB Full Range. Go to Settings > HDMI > Dynamic Range.
- Improved support for Denon receivers.
- CEC volume control for more audio receivers.
- Supports the new Vulkan™ API for high-efficiency access to SHIELD’s graphics hardware.
- Optimizations for New Apps and Games
So yeah, this is a big update to the SHIELD Android TV, so you folks that have one sitting beneath your television will want to keep an eye out for it. NVIDIA has earned a reputation for being good when it comes to pushing Android OS updates to its devices, and this update should help it to keep that reputation.