Remember that NVIDIA Shield TV update that was announced earlier this month? Well, it’s now rolling out.
NVIDIA says that it’s now pushing Shield Android TV Upgrade 3.2, which includes a number of video-centric new features. One of the highlights is Plex Media Server, which will let you use your Shield TV set-top box to stream content to other screens, including your phone or tablet when you’re outside of your home.
Also included in this update is Netflix HDR support that NVIDIA says will deliver “brighter highlights, more detail in darker scenes, and a wider color range.” NVIDIA is throwing in support for 4K 60fps YouTube video, VUDU 4K video, and more. Here’s the full list of tweaks, courtesy of NVIDIA:
Netflix in HDR
- SHIELD is the first Smart TV box to support Netflix in HDR! Pair with an HDR TV and enjoy brighter highlights, more detail in dark scenes, and a wider color range. One hundred hours of HDR shows are coming this summer. Learn more here: https://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/faq#hdr
YouTube 4K 60FPS
- Watch YouTube videos in 4K Ultra HD resolution at a smooth 60 frames per second—only on SHIELD.
VUDU in 4K
- Catch up on the latest movies and binge-watch TV series. VUDU supports UltraViolet and Disney Movies Anywhere playback, as well as 4K and voice search.
- Enjoy a home theater experience with rich Dolby® Atmos surround sound pass-through in VUDU, MX Player, SPMC, and SHIELD’s preinstalled Photos & Videos app.
Best Universal Search
- Perform a natural language search for music, movies, TV shows or games and get results from over 60 apps including top new additions: Netflix, VUDU and Spotify.
Media Streaming – At Home and On the Go
More Top Apps Streaming to Your TV
- If you’re a sports fan you can now stream all WatchESPN has to offer. Music lovers now have access to Spotify. For news junkies, CNNGo, NPR and ABC News are on the way. Family-friendly programming will get a major boost with WATCH ABC, Freeform, Disney Channel, Disney Jr. and Disney XD, and Nick. Viacom also brings popular shows with MTV and Comedy Central.
Automatically Turn your TV Off
- Rounding out our HDMI CEC support, SHIELD now automatically turns off your TV when SHIELD sleeps. Enable in Settings > HDMI > HDMI-CEC preferences.
Share SHIELD Folders with a PC
- Access SHIELD folders from a network PC or Mac and enjoy drag-and-drop file sharing. Enable in Settings > Storage & reset > Access SHIELD folders on PC.
Mount Network Storage
- Mount a network attached storage device (NAS) to SHIELD to access your complete media collection. Stream this media to mobile devices using the Plex app and SHIELD’s HD hardware transcode. Set up in Settings > Storage & reset > Network storage.
Improved Picture Quality
- Enable YCbCr 4:4:4 color space for improved video quality on supported TVs. Go to Settings > HDMI > Color space.
So yeah, this is a pretty huge update for Shield TV owners. Despite the fact that the Shield TV is now more than one year old, NVIDIA continues to show it love in the form of major software updates. If you’ve got a Shield TV, you can update it by going into Settings > Device > About > System update.