UPDATE: A new report has clarified that it was actually a Galaxy Core Prime, not a Galaxy Note 7, that exploded in the boy's hands.
When Samsung confirmed that it would be recalling the Galaxy Note 7, it said that there had been 35 confirmed cases of devices catching fire or exploding. Now we can add another to that list.
A 6-year-old boy in Brooklyn was watching videos on a Galaxy Note 7 when the phone’s battery “exploded,” says Linda Lewis, the child’s grandmother. After calling 911, it was determined that the boy had gotten burns on his body as a result of the explosion. He’s now home, but “he doesn’t want to see or go near any phones,” says Lewis. Here’s to hoping that he makes a speedy recovery.
Samsung has been in talks with Lewis about the incident, but she didn’t elaborate on those talks.
Last week, Samsung confirmed that it was working with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission on a recall of the Note 7. The company is urging Note 7 owners to turn off their phones and take part in the exchange program, but if you’ve been ignoring Samsung’s calls to turn your Note 7 off, this news of a boy getting burned by an exploding phone should convince you to heed Samsung’s call.
Samsung is working to get replacement Note 7 units to consumers affected by this recall. In the mean time, select carriers and retailers are offering loaner devices that Note 7 owners can use while they wait for a replacement. In the mean time,