Yesterday, a story broke that claimed that a Galaxy Note 7 exploded in a 6-year-old’s hands, leaving burns on his body. It turns out that it was a different phone that exploded in the boy’s hands, though.
According to the boy’s mother, who spoke to NBC 4 New York, the phone that blew up in her son’s hands was a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime. Samsung says that it’s working with the boy’s family to learn more about the situation and so it can’t issue any additional comment right now.
Given the other reports of Galaxy Note 7s catching fire that've come up lately, it’s not surprising that the exploding phone in this situation was assumed to be a Galaxy Note 7. The Galaxy Core Prime and Galaxy Note 7 are fairly different devices, though, with the former being a fairly entry-level device released more than a year ago and the latter being a brand new flagship.
All that said, it’s still a scary situation for the child, and it’s good to hear that Samsung is looking into the situation. It’s unclear if this is Samsung’s fault or if some third-party battery is to blame, but here’s to hoping that they get to the bottom of it.