NVIDIA's Shield is one of the best Android TV boxes on the market thanks to the regular updates that bring new features and bug fixes. Today NVIDIA has confirmed that another update is now going out to the Shield.
The Shield Experience Update 8.0.2 is now rolling out to 2015 and 2017 Shield and Shield Pro models. One of the most notable additions in this update is support for the 2019 Shield remote (shown above), allowing you to use the new remote with older Shield boxes. This remote includes motion activated backlit buttons, a locator feature, and a customizable menu button, and NVIDIA is selling it standalone for $29.99.
The update also brings support for Microsoft's Xbox Elite Series 2 controller, the BET+ streaming service, and new games like Jack Box Party Pack 6, Asphalt 9, and Brick Breaker.
NVIDIA says that there are several bug fixes packed into the update as well. Some of the bugs that've been squashed include crash issues when an accessory update notification is seen, a bug when manually setting "Audio formats" wouldn't be applied, and stability issues when connecting to Shield from a PC over a network.
You can find the full changelog for the update below.
New NVIDIA SHIELD Remote Now Available
- SHIELD Experience 8.0.2 adds support for our new 2019 SHIELD remote. New features include motion activated back-lit buttons, remote locator feature, and a customizable menu button. Available for purchase at www.nvidia.com/shield.
New or Upgraded Apps
- Stream Free Movies and TV Shows on PLEX
- BET+ is Now On SHIELD
- Jack Box Party Pack 6
- ASPHALT 9
- Brick Breaker
- [GeForce NOW] Cuisine Royale
- [GeForce NOW] DARKSIDERS: GENESIS
- [GeForce NOW] Deliver Us The Moon: Fortuna
- [GeForce NOW] AVICII Invector
- Fixes crash issues when accessory update notification is seen.
- Fixes bug where IR control would not function when Talkback is enabled.
- Resolves IR volume control setup issues for some Samsung AVR/soundbars.
- Adds IR support for Logitech Z906 Speaker systems.
- Add bluetooth remote support for WeChip G30 remote.
- Resolves issue where audio would not be heard on some Vizio TVs when streaming from VUDU/Movies Anywhere.
- Resolves audio routing issues when using multiple USB devices (e.g. webcam + USB DAC).
- Fixes bug when manually setting "Audio formats" would not be applied.
- Resolves issue where audio passthrough was not available over USB DAC on 3rd party apps like KODI.
- Resolves audio drop issues when playing high bit-rate or DolbyTrueHD streams over HDMI passthrough.
- Channels DVR app can now store recorded content over NAS.
- Resolves issue where "Match Color Space" was not working properly on some TVs.
- Fixes bug where screensaver would not be displayed in Neftlix.
- Resolves issue where pre-installed apps would disappear.
- Fixes stability issues when connecting to SHIELD from PC over network.
- Resolves issue where SHIELD LED doesn't pulse after voice command, after enabling that setting.