The US government previously threatened to ban TikTok in the US on September 20, and today it said that it'll be following through.
The US Department of Commerce says that it will ban TikTok and WeChat from mobile app stores on Sunday, September 20. It will also ban any services within WeChat for transferring funds or processing payments within the US.
With this ban, smartphone users will be unable to download the TikTok and WeChat apps themselves as well as any updates to the apps.
"Today’s actions prove once again that President Trump will do everything in his power to guarantee our national security and protect Americans from the threats of the Chinese Communist Party," said U.S. Department of Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross. "At the President’s direction, we have taken significant action to combat China’s malicious collection of American citizens’ personal data, while promoting our national values, democratic rules-based norms, and aggressive enforcement of U.S. laws and regulations."
The Commerce Department goes on to say that President Trump has given TikTok until November 12 to address the national security concerns that the US government has. If it does, the ban on TikTok may be lifted.