Contrary to all the rumors flying around over the past week, Motorola said Monday that it's "fully committed" to the mobile phone business and is looking to revamp its product line in order to turn things around for its money-losing handset division. According to Retuers, MOTO CEO Greg Brown confirmed the sentiment at MWC in Barcelona. "I don't want there to be any confusion," said Brown. "Motorola is fully commited to the mobile devices business and I am fully committed to mobile devices."
MOTO has reportedly been in talks with Nortel regarding combining the two companies' cellular network infrastructure divisions into one company in an effort to stave off losses. Company execs wouldn't comment at MWC regarding a Wall Street Journal article speculating on the possible merger.
Meantime, MOTO's showing at MWC has been notably lackluster. While a pre-show YouTube video piqued interest in a possible launch of a high-end multimedia device with mobile TV capabilities, MOTO has thus far only shown two low end handsets and a minor upgrade to their Z6 slider phone.
A joint Motorola/Symbian/Sony Ericsson press event is scheduled for Wednesday, and it's not out of the question that MOTO would unveil a Symbian-powered multimedia smartphone at the event. Over the past few months, "spy shots" of four new devices have been circulating online, including the Z12 ZINE, TEXEL musicphone, and X PIXL high-end cameraphone. So far none has shown its face at MWC, so MOTO fans had best keep their fingers crossed for a Symbian surprise come Wednesday.
Read more at Reuters from here.