If you didn't manage to get your iPhone 3GS today, don't worry: Did you know that Microsoft can help you save money on that hot, new Apple handset? (The irony of that is just fabulous.)
According to a forum member on Slickdeals.net, customers could save a little more than a third off the cost of an iPhone 3GS with Bing, Microsoft's answer to Google. The search engine, a replacement for the company's previous Live.com venture, features a cashback program that apparently works for online AT&T purchases.
There's some discussion about whether this is applicable for upgrades or only for new activations. Various posts (on no less than three different blogs) make it seem like it works in either case, since they all post instructions for both scenarios.
Even so, some people found some legalese that basically says it's for new activations only, while others are claiming to have already gotten their cashback from upgraded iPhone 3GS purchases. I can't guarantee that this works, but if you?re brave enough to try it, here are the instructions from the SlickDeals post:
New AT&T customers:
1. Visit ATT Wireless website and validate your email address with Premier.
2. Check your email and click the link to your ATT Premier Store.
3. Open a new tab with the same browser that your ATT Premier Store is open in.
4. Go to bing.com in the new tab and search "att wireless"
5. Click the 35% CashBack Sponsored Link
6. Sign into your CashBack account and get redirected to the main AT&T Wireless page.
7. In the top right enter the term "Premier" into the search bar.
8. Click the first link that reads "at&t premier login"
9. You will get directed to the same Premier store you have open in the original tab.
10. Congratulations, you are in the Premier store under the CashBack AT&T Site
1. Go to bing.com
2. Search "ATT WIRELESS"
3. Click the AT&T sponsored link, you will redirected (after you enter your email) to either the regular AT&T store or the Premier store depending on which account you have
4. Log in to your account and make your purchase.
5. The cashback will show up as "pending" after a couple of hours.
6. If it takes more than 48 hours for the cashback to show up, contact bing's customer service then you will asked for your order number, method of payment ( I attached my whole purchase order to the email): You cash will show up within hours
So if you didn't get your iPhone 3GS today, don't despair. You may not be among the first to nab one, and sure, you might have to wait a little longer still, but you might be paying a lot less than those launch-day addicts. (And if you do give this a shot, report back and let us know how it worked for you.)
[SlickDeals.net via IntoMobile, TechCrunch and Gizmodo]