Nokia rolling Lumia Black update out to Lumia 925, Lumia 1020 [UPDATED]Alex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
Good news, Nokia Lumia owners! Nokia just announced that it's begun pushing the Lumia Black update to Lumia 925 and Lumia 1020 units around the world. The Lumia Black follows the Lumia Amber update that was released last August, and just like Amber, the new Black update brings with it a number of new features for Lumia owners to check out. They include:
- App Folder: Group apps and settings into a single tile/folder on the Start screen.
- Nokia Glance Screen 2.0: Now includes notifications for missed calls, new texts and IMs, emails and more. Also packs in new night mode colors.
- Bluetooth LE: Support for Bluetooth LE, which is used by a number of wearables and accessories.
- Nokia Refocus: Support for the Nokia Refocus app, which can be used by Lumia phones with 1GB of RAM or more. Allows users to take a photo and then change the focus later on.
- Nokia Beamer: Updated version allows users to send documents, presentations and more to an HTML5-capable device by scanning a QR code. Available to phones with 1GB of RAM or higher.
- Nokia Storyteller: Expanded availability of an app that arranges photos by date and place to create a sort of storybook.
- Nokia Camera: Now available to all Lumia Windows Phone 8 models, gives users greater control over camera settings. Update also brings support for raw DNG format on the Lumia 1020.
- Improved imaging: Better image quality, especially on the Lumia 1020, including a new oversampling algorithm that reduces noise in photos.
- Microsoft improvements: Driving Mode, custom ringtones for contacts, ability to close apps in multitasking view and screen rotation lock.
Whew. As you can see by the large bulleted list above, Lumia Black is a pretty substantial update, and so it's good to see that the new software is making its way to Lumia 925 and Lumia 1020 units around the. The Lumia Black update actually began hitting AT&T-branded Lumia 1020 units last month, but Nokia's update status page currently lists the Black update for AT&T and T-Mobile's versions of the Lumia 925 as "Waiting for approval," so those devices may still have a bit of a wait ahead of them. Nokia says that Lumia Black will be pushed to other Lumia models in the coming weeks.
If you're rocking a Lumia 925 or Lumia 1020 and want to try out all of the aforementioned goodies in the Lumia Black update for yourself, you can manually check for the update by heading into Settings > Phone update. If there's nothing there waiting for you, or if you own another Lumia model and need some help passing the time until it's your turn to update, you can find a video that demonstrates the new features found in Lumia Black down below.
UPDATE: It turns out that the new App Folder feature is a standalone app download rather than something that's included with the Lumia Black update itself. The Nokia-made App Folder app is can be installed from the Windows Phone Store right here.