Verizon today revealed which of its Android handsets is next in line to receive a Jelly Bean update. The big winner? LG's Spectrum 2, which will soon receive an update to Android 4.1, software version VS93021B.
Just as we'd expect from a device that's being updated from Android 4.0 to 4.1, the Spectrum 2 will be receiving some new features that are JB-specific, including Google Now and expandable notifications. LG and Verizon have also packed a handful of other tweaks into the update, such as an updated weather app and widget as well as a brightness option in the notification panel. The update also removes several preloaded widgets, like Social+ and Today+. The full changelog for the 449.9MB update is available below.
There's no word yet on exactly when the Spectrum 2's Jelly Bean bump will begin rolling out to users. However, Verizon typically announces those details shortly after it posts the update support documents, so we should be hearing more soon. If you've got a Spectrum 2 and want to manually check for the update until then, you can do so by moseying into Menu > Settings > About phone > Software updates > Check for Updates on your device. Stay tuned and we'll give you a shout once we hear more from ol' Big Red.
- Just the right information at just the right time. Get today’s weather before you start your day and know how much traffic to expect before you leave for work. Cards appear throughout the day automatically. Additionally, Google now is provided when selecting search on home screen. User can double tap the HW Home Key and add Google Now shortcut to lock screen.
- Take action directly from the notifications panel. Send emails, return calls and share photos. Notifications are expandable and you scan multiple emails, see event details or full images and more. User will enjoy an added brightness control bar and label for “clear” button.
- Application link option is added for user’s alarm clock. User can select an app to auto-launch when user stops alarm. For example, if weather is selected, the user will be presented with Weather app screen when stops the alarm.User can set a music file as an alarm sound.
- Weather application and widget have been updated
- NFC LG Tag+ help has been improved
- Brightness option has been moved to notification panel for global access
- Browser now loads Google account bookmarks
- Improved readability for email conversation
- Optimized Bluetooth® connect/disconnect and audio stream switching implementations
- User can back up contacts when the SIM is swapped to a new device
- Preloaded widgets including Social+, Today+, Finance, News and Power Control have been removed
Via Droid-Life, Verizon Wireless